International Student Life At Lakehead-Georgian
Making the transition to postsecondary student life and navigating campus can be difficult. Especially when you’re doing it in a new country! There are many challenges you may face in your new student life, but there’s no reason to face them alone.
Lakehead-Georgian has all kinds of services focused on supporting our students.
Pre-orientation days are your first step in getting to know your new home! International pre-orientation sessions tell you everything you need to know about living in Canada and studying at Lakehead-Georgian.
Attend this event to visit the campus and ask any questions you might have. This is a great day to get familiar with the campus and find out where everything is located before the campus gets busy.
On this day you’ll:
- be provided an overview of the Barrie and Orillia campuses
- learn about International student supports
- receive an introduction to health insurance coverage
- pick up your bus pass or parking pass
- set up your fitness center membership
- get your Lakehead-Georgian ONEcard
- order any books you need for classes
Orientation Day is your official welcome to your new campus and student life! This is your day to connect with other students, professors, program coordinators, and even the President of the school. You’ll have a chance to make friends and talk about your future courses with classmates. This is the time to find what student clubs or societies you might be interested in exploring and what student support services you can take advantage of.
This day is mandatory for all students, and is especially helpful for our international students.
Student Support Services
Making the transition to student life in Canada can be challenging, but student support services are here to help. Both campuses have a number of services focused on aiding you in your new journey.
There are a number of support services available that may be of help during your time here. In your first year you can rely on the library and advising services to be of assistance in a number of ways.
- The library gives you access to computers, study rooms and printing. You can also find peer tutoring here and the math and writing center.
- Student advising helps in the transition to postsecondary life by providing referrals and connections to support.
You’ll find a good range of services in our Orillia campus to take advantage of.
- Academic Advising allows you meet with faculty advisors to go over your academic goals, discuss your future plans and find out how to get there.
- The Academic Support Zone offers free services such as writing and tutoring, and is also a great place for quiet studying and work.
- The Library is your greatest resource for online or physical information, but you can also access the study rooms and printing services here.
- The Student Success Centre provides tutoring, career guidance, leadership development and much more. They also coordinate the on-campus events such as orientation and career fairs.
Our students have the option of living on-campus or off-campus. We highly recommended living on-campus in first year. It will make getting to class and meeting lots of new people easier. It’s the best way to integrate into student life.
Our student mentors are here to help our first-year students make an easy and fun transition into student life. They will assist in navigating the campus and guide you through the many services available.
Student Health and Wellness
Lakehead Georgian students have many resources available to them at both campuses.
- The Health and Wellness Clinics
- Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic
- Oral Health Clinic
- Massage Therapy Clinic
- Hair Studio
- Optical Clinic
- Spa and Esthetics Clinic
- Harmonize for Speech, Hearing and Language Clinic
- Nurse Practitioner Clinic
- The Health and Wellness resources
- Personal Counselling
- Nurse Practitioner
- Local resources and help line
Settling into life as an international postsecondary student will be one of the most rewarding, fun, and exciting times of your life! We can’t wait to meet you. If you have more questions about what to expect as a new student, or if you need additional resources don’t hesitate to reach out.